Kielce oczami obcokrajowca

Do wyrzucenia, poprawy.

Moderatorzy: Nowak, Autor, sueno, Sirek1

Awatar użytkownika
Michał
Ranga: Inspektor nadzoru ;)

Kielce oczami obcokrajowca

Post autor: Michał » 19 czerwca 2011, o 09:45

Myślę, że w związku z akcją Gazety Wyborczej, warto zacząć taki temat - jak nas widzą inni, co im się podoba a co nie, co jest dla nich dziwne a czego my nie dostrzegamy albo jesteśmy już przyzwyczajeni...

Najnowszy wpis Habiba z bloga Misja21:

http://misja21.blox.pl/2011/06/Warsaw-to-Kielce.html

Warsaw to Kielce

Obrazek

Our arrival in Warsaw seemed to be a fairly standard one for any major city. The airport came equipped with English signs alongside all the Polish ones and the building on the whole seemed as modern as any other big-city airport. The only thing I think we were all a little unimpressed with was the waiting time at passport control. It will be interesting to see how Warsaw airport security copes with the hoards of people arriving next year for Euro 2012.

I had to leave from our rendezvous with Gazeta Wyborcza at their impressive offices earlier than all the other guys because I had a bus to catch at 2pm. Now, next time someone offers you an inter-city bus ride in Poland, know that by bus they mean an overcrowded mini-bus that comes with no air conditioning yet just enough of a breeze to tease you in to thinking there could possibly be air-con.

I asked a lady if she knew exactly where my bus would be departing from and she pointed to the exact spot I was standing in before disappearing around a corner. As it turns out, I was lucky I asked her because she reappeared a few minutes later to tell me - through hand signals - that my bus was here and that she was in fact on the same bus.

Being the last to get on the minibus, I drew the short straw and had to sit at the back where four seats were wedged tightly together and didn't really accommodate the four broad shouldered figures occupying them.

Not that I've felt uncomfortable as of yet during my short time in Poland, but I did receive comfort from two things while in Warsaw. One being three black men I saw crossing the road outside the Palace of Culture, that’s the building with the big banner saying: “Warsaw Welcomes You.” Since my recent visit to Spain and Morocco I've become a lot darker than my usual tanned self and I could easily pass as anything ranging from North African to Asian or South American. I've tried to avoid this topic thus far but one image many people from ethnic minorities back home (London) share is that poles aren't quite there yet when it comes to racial acceptance and integration.

The other comfort I received was in seeing Ernesto “Che” Guevara’s face emblazoned across the side of the mini-bus that was to take me to Kielce. You know how it is, you're a long way away from home, it's just nice to see a familiar face! I swear the comfort I received had nothing to do with my political leanings! Although I'm not sure how Señor Guevara would feel about a musketeer’s hat being added to his famous stencil portrait in order to be used as a marketing tool for a polish bus company.

The ride was really uncomfortable. I wasn’t sure what I preferred, the faster the driver drove, the more uncomfortable it became but the more breeze we at the back received from his cracked open - I stress cracked - window all the way down the front. Anyway, it's all in good fun. I'm in the traveller spirit now and a greasy bus journey won't deter me from making this an enjoyable trip.

Oh and I took great comfort in being the only person on this bus able to understand the Jamaican patois being spoken by Sean Paul, since the radio seems running some kind of Sean Paul marathon. I guess all those years growing up in East London finally came to some benefit after all. I’ve noticed from the three Polish vehicles I’ve been in so far that 70s and 80s music is hugely popular here. I guess while trying to reach my final destination listening to Elton John’s classic, “I’m Still Standing”, added a touch of drama to the whole thing.

Polish motorways are not as bad as our Polish hosts seemed to suggest. With the exception of bumpy back-roads and some of the roads leading us out of Warsaw, the main S7 road that goes directly from Warsaw to Kielce was like any other road you’d expect from modern European country.

My first impressions of Kielce yesterday evening were not overwhelming positive if I’m honest. Most of what I saw was high-rise residential housing with ugly beige-coloured architecture and discoloured signs hanging over worn-out shops. Though from my hotel room I can see a rather historical looking cathedral in the centre of town so I’m hoping to go and see what that’s all about today. Hopefully I can come across some of Kielce’s more beautiful sights.

So far I've found not a single person out on the street who speaks English but all 5 Poles I've interacted with seemed happy enough to point me in the right direction and at least attempt to understand my unique take on sign-language.

The polite young woman at the hotel reception did speak perfect English though, and since one of the most crucial aspects of travel for football fans next year is going to be accommodation, that’s definitely a good sign.

Now I'll drag myself out of this bed to go and grab some breakfast because I have a city to explore. Before I leave I just have to share one stereotype that I've been trying to supress ever since I've arrived in Poland: Perhaps it has something to do with Poland's communist past, or maybe it's the dull-coloured architecture or grey skies, but with each corner I turn in to an unknown street or square, I keep half expecting to hear The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra's "Marcia Religiosa" ringing out. Sorry Poland... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 0OOQ#at=48

Ewentualne tłumaczenie tutaj: http://translate.google.pl/translate?u= ... ielce.html

ODPOWIEDZ